Dec 10, 2018
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department of History
The blue highlighted text indicates additional details are available. Simply click on it to view details such as course name, description, prerequisites, or to be linked to another website with additional information. The back arrow button may be used to return to this page if you leave it through a link.
- For more information about Religious Studies, see the History Department website.
- Following is a sample four-year plan. Please note that student-specific plans may differ.
- Admitted students must meet with an academic advisor. Current students should also meet with an adacemic advisor and log on to DegreeWorks to check student-specific program progress.
Bachelor of Science Degree
Students desiring a (BS) Bachelor of Science degree must complete all of the requirements listed in the sample four-year plan below.
Bachelor of Arts Degree
Students desiring a (BA) Bachelor of Arts degree must complete the language proficiency requirements in one of the following ways:
- Demonstration of proficiency in one foreign language by successful completion of one course at the 2020-level or higher (or its equivalent) OR
- Demonstration of proficiency in American Sign Language by successful completion of American Sign Language IV (COMD 4920) and Socio-Cultural Aspects of Deafness (COMD 4780), and by passing an exit interview OR
- Demonstration of proficiency in two foreign languages by successful completion of the 1020 course level in one language and the 2010 course level in the second language (or its equivalent) OR
- Completion of an upper-division (3000-level or higher) foreign language grammar or literature course requiring the 2020 course level (or its equivalent) as a prerequisite. Conversation courses cannot be considered for satisfying this requirement.
For nonnative English-speaking students only, the following options are available:
- Successful completion of the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) program for international students OR
- TOEFL, Michigan, or IELI placement scores high enough to meet the University admission criteria.
Minimum University Requirements
Grade Point Average (most majors require higher GPA)
|Credits of C- or better
||Credits of upper-division courses (#3000 or above)
|Total USU Credits
||Upper-division USU Credits
|USU Credits within the Major
||Credits in Minor (if required)
|Credits in Major
||Credits in American Institutions
|General Education Requirements
||University Studies Depth Requirements
|NOTES: highest Math Requirement for this degree is Math (QL) Stat 1040 or 1045 or Math 1030 or 1050
Admissions Requirements for this Program
||Admitted to USU in Good Standing
|Transfer students from other institutions or other programs at USU
Religious Studies Major (BA, BS)
Program Director: Ravi M. Gupta
Location: Main 323S
Phone: (435) 797-1196
FAX: (435) 797-3899
TTY: (435) 797-1290
College of CHaSS Advising Center: Amanda Adison
Location: MAIN 106
Phone: (435) 797-3883
Utah State University, 0107 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-0107
Degrees offered: Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Minimum Departmental Requirements
Minimum GPA for Admission: 2.5, USU; 2.0, Career
Minimum GPA for Graduation: 2.5, major courses; 2.0, USU
Minimum Grade Accepted: C in all major requirements
Students must complete at least 36 credits in interdisciplinary coursework. A grade of C or better must be earned in all classes used for the major.
Required Courses in Major
TAKE ALL of these courses (9 credits):
PICK AT LEAST 2 of the following (6 credits):
PICK 3 religious traditions and take one course in each (9 credits):
PICK 4 ELECTIVE COURSES IN RELIGIOUS STUDIES (12 credits):
You can choose any of the courses listed above (not already taken), or any of the courses listed below.
How to declare your major and complete your degree:
- See your advisor to declare the major formally
- Choose a degree -
- Bachelor's of Arts - requires 2 years of a foreign language OR 1 year of one language and 1 1/2 years of another language
- Bachelor's of Science
- Maintain a 2.00 overall GPA