College of Science
Department of Biology
A four-year program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Public Health is offered by the Department of Biology with options in environmental health, industrial hygiene, or public health education. The industrial hygiene program is accredited by the Applied Science Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology; 111 Market Place, Suite 1050; Baltimore MD 21202-4012; telephone (410) 347-7700. Individuals completing the environmental health option are qualified to take the Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Sanitarian Examination (REHS/RS). Those completing the industrial hygiene option are granted benefits toward both the Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and the Certified Safety Professional (CSP) examinations. Public Health Education graduates are qualified to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) examination. The Public Health degree requires a core of biology courses similar to that required for the biology degrees; additional biology and public health courses; and chemistry, physics, mathematics, statistics, and allied science and engineering courses appropriate to each emphasis.
Admission Requirements For This Major
1. New freshmen admitted to USU in good standing qualify for admission to this major.
2. Transfer students from other institutions need a 2.25 transfer GPA and students transferring from other USU majors need a 2.25 cumulative GPA for admission to this major in good standing.
For further information contact the Biology Advising Center in Biology-Natural Resources 101. The advisor for Public Health majors is David Wallace, Biology-Natural Resources 333, (435) 797-7155 or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students must complete the General Education Requirements :
- The required chemistry courses, in conjunction with the required physics courses, will fulfill the Exploration requirement
- The required Biology coursework will fulfill the BLS requirement
- The required Physics coursework will fulfill the BPS requirement
Students must also complete the University Studies Depth Requirements :
- , along with another course having CI designation (such as , ENGL 3080 or ), will fulfill the Communications Intensive (CI) requirement
- will fulfill the Quantitative Intensive (QI) requirement
- Complete at least 2 credits in approved 3000-level or above courses from each of the following two categories: Humanities and Creative Arts (DHA) and Social Sciences (DSS)
Minimum grades and GPA for graduation: Students must complete the BIOL 1610 and BIOL 1620 courses with grades of C- or better and attain a minimum GPA of 2.25 in all Biology and Public Health coursework required by the major.