May 24, 2018
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Department of Economics and Finance
University Studies Requirements for Finance Major
Students must complete the General Education Requirements :
- will fulfill the Social Sciences requirement for students in the Huntsman School of Business
- will fulfill the American Institutions requirement
- Courses taken for their major will meet the Exploration requirement for students in the Huntsman School of Business
Students must also complete the University Studies Depth Requirements :
- For most students, courses taken for their major will fulfill the Communications Intensive (CI) and Quantitative Intensive (QI) requirements for students in the Huntsman School of Business
- Complete at least 2 credits in approved 3000-level or above courses from each of the following two categories: Humanities and Creative Arts (DHA) and Life and Physical Sciences (DSC)
Bachelor of Arts Degree Language Requirement
Bachelor of Arts Degree
A Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree signifies proficiency in one or more foreign languages. Specifically, the BA requirement may be completed in one of the following ways:
- Demonstration of proficiency in one foreign language by successful completion of one course at the 2020-level or higher (or its equivalent).
- Demonstration of proficiency in American Sign Language by successful completion of COMD 4920 and COMD 4780 , and by passing an exit interview.
- Demonstration of proficiency in two foreign languages by successful completion of the 1020 course level in one language and the 2010 course level in the second language (or its equivalent).
- Completion of an upper-division (3000-level or higher) foreign language grammar or literature course requiring the 2020 course level (or its equivalent) as a prerequisite. Conversation courses cannot be considered for satisfying this requirement.
For nonnative English-speaking students only, the following options are available:
- Successful completion of the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) program for international students.
- TOEFL, Michigan, or IELI placement scores high enough to meet the University admission criteria.
Huntsman School of Business Acumen (39-40 credits)
Finance majors in the Department of Economics and Finance must complete the following business acumen in addition to the specific courses listed for the major. (Students should check with their undergraduate advisor concerning the need for students in the economics major to complete the business acumen.)
All 3000-, 4000-, and 5000-level courses in the Huntsman School of Business are restricted to students admitted to the Huntsman School or another USU major with an overall GPA of at least 2.67 and completion of at least 40 credits.
Finance is concerned with how individuals and firms allocate resources over time. Solutions to allocation problems rely upon the existence of capital markets that allow the exchange of resources over time, and firms that allow individuals to transform current resources into resources available in the future. In particular, finance deals with the financial management of firms, investment management, and the management of financial institutions. Before continuing with the following courses, students must receive a grade of B- or better in FIN 3400 .
Required Courses (6-7 credits)
Complete 6 of the following courses (18 credits):
Students in the Finance Major are encouraged to select additional electives from the following list.
The interests and career goals of the student should determine which electives are selected.
Minimum University Requirements