Apr 26, 2018
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department of Political Science
Students must complete the General Education Requirements :
- POLS 1100 (required for POLS and LCS majors) will fulfill the American Institutions requirement
- (optional for POLS majors) will fulfill the Social Sciences requirement
Students must also complete the University Studies Depth Requirements :
- (required for POLS majors), plus , or (if selected in the Area Requirements), will fulfill the Communication Intensive (CI) requirement
- (required for POLS majors) will fulfill the Quantitative Intensive (QI) requirement
- Complete at least 2 credits in approved 3000-level or above courses from each of the following two categories: Humanities and Creative Arts (DHA) and Life and Physical Sciences (DSC)
Political Science Major
Minimum GPA for Admission: 2.5, USU; 2.5, Career
Minimum GPA for Graduation: 2.5, major courses; 2.5, USU; 2.5, Career
Minimum Grade Accepted: C- in major courses
A. Total credits in Political Science Courses: 36
C. Average GPA in Political Science Courses: 2.50
D. Required Courses (15 credits)
E. Area Requirements (15 credits minimum)
Select two of the following four areas: U.S. Government and Policy, International Relations, Comparative Politics, and Political Theory. Complete nine upper-division credits in one of the selected areas and six upper-division credits in the other. Even though a course may be listed under more than one area, it can be applied to only one area. Prior to taking the upper-division courses in a particular area, students must take the introductory course corresponding to that specific area.
1. U.S. Government and Policy
POLS 1100 , U.S. Government and Politics, must be taken prior to taking any of the upper-division coursework listed below.
2. International Relations
POLS 2100 , Introduction to International Politics, or POLS 2200 , Comparative Politics, must be taken prior to taking any of the upper-division coursework listed below.
3. Comparative Politics
POLS 2200 , Comparative Politics, or POLS 2100 , Introduction to International Politics, must be taken prior to taking any of the upper-division coursework listed below.
4. Political Theory
POLS 2300 , Introduction to Political Theory, must be taken prior to taking any of the upper-division coursework listed below.
F. Electives (6 credits)
In addition to the 15 credits of required prerequisite courses and the 15 credits of area courses, students must complete six upper-division elective credits. Any upper-division Political Science courses may be used to fulfill this requirement, with two exceptions:
- Not more than three credits in Directed Readings courses (POLS 4910 ) can apply to this requirement.
- Not more than three credits in the following courses can apply to this requirement:
Minimum University Requirements