Mar 20, 2018
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Department of Management
University Studies Requirements for Major
Students must complete the General Education Requirements :
- will fulfill the American Institutions requirement
- will fulfill the Social Sciences requirement for students in the Huntsman School of Business
- For Huntsman School of Business students, courses taken for their major will fulfill the Exploration requirement
Students must also complete the University Studies Depth Requirements :
- Courses taken for their major will fulfill the Communications Intensive (CI) and Quantitative Intensive (QI) requirements for students in the Huntsman School of Business
- Complete at least 2 credits in approved 3000-level or above courses from each of the following two categories: Humanities and Creative Arts (DHA) and Life and Physical Sciences (DSC)
Huntsman School of Business Acumen (40 credits)
All majors in the Department of Management must complete the following business acumen, in addition to the specific courses listed for the major. ECN 1500 , ENGL 2010 and STAT 2300 must be completed with a grade of C or better. Additionally, students must receive a grade of B- or better in FIN 3400 , MGT 3500 and MGT 3700 .
All 3000-, 4000-, and 5000-level courses in the Huntsman School of Business are restricted to students admitted to the Huntsman School or another USU major with an overall GPA of at least 2.67 and completion of at least 40 credits.
International Business Major (28 credits)
The international business major develops the skills and knowledge needed to provide leadership in the global marketplace. This requires not only being able to manage customers, products, and processes in global supply chains, but also understanding the social, political, and cultural dimensions of business in an international environment. For the BA degree in International Business, students must complete 19 credits of required courses, 6 credits of supporting coursework, and one 3-credit elective course (as shown below). In addition to coursework requirements, students are required to demonstrate competence in a second language, and complete an international experience. Competence in a second language can be demonstrated by one of the following: (1) successful completion of a minor or major in a second language; (2) passing 16 semester credits of a second language at an accredited college or university; (3) passing a language challenge competency exam and successfully completing the next higher class; (4) successful completion of the BYU Language Test (minimum of 16 credits); or (5) completion of 16 credits from the Intensive English Language Institute or attainment of a TOEFL score of at least 173 computerized, 500 paper/pencil, or 61 on the iBT.
The international experience can be fulfilled by meeting one of the following requirements:
- Demonstration of international work experience or completion of an internship. The work experience/internship is either to be completed overseas or to provide substantial and approved international experience. It is to be of no less than nine weeks in duration.
- Completion of a minimum of one semester of study at an approved overseas institute of higher education or participation in an approved overseas study tour.
Required Courses (19 credits)
Supporting Coursework (6 credits)
Students must complete 6 credits of coursework from the following:
See note 1
Electives (select 3 credits)
Students must complete one elective, selected from the following:
1 In the event that a course required for a supporting area is not offered or available, an approved alternative course may be substituted.
Minimum University Requirements