May 24, 2019  
2019-2020 General Catalog (Year Under Revision) 
2019-2020 General Catalog (Year Under Revision)

Bachelor's Degree Requirements

Bachelor's Degrees

The University confers the baccalaureate degree upon students who meet the specified requirements of any of the eight resident colleges.

Graduates of the Colleges of Engineering and Natural Resources are eligible to receive the Bachelor of Science degree. The Bachelor of Arts degree is not offered in these colleges.

Graduates of the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business, the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and the College of Science may be awarded the Bachelor of Science degree or the Bachelor of Arts degree as recommended by the student's individual department and approved by the dean of the college.

Graduates of the College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences may be awarded the Bachelor of Science degree, the Bachelor of Arts degree, or the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree as recommended by the student's individual department and approved by the dean of the college.

Graduates of the Caine College of the Arts may be awarded the Bachelor of Science Degree, the Bachelor of Arts degree, the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, the Bachelor of Interior Design degree, or the Bachelor of Music degree as  recommended by the student's individual department and approved by the dean of the college.

All graduates, regardless of the type of degree, must satisfy University Studies general education and depth education requirements.

Students who simultaneously complete all of the requirements for more than one bachelor's degree program shall be awarded a separate diploma for each degree.

Bachelor of Arts Degree

A Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree signifies proficiency in one or more foreign languages. Specifically, the BA requirement may be completed in one of the following ways:

  1. Demonstration of proficiency in one foreign language by successful completion of one course at the 2020-level or higher (or its equivalent).
  2. Demonstration of proficiency in American Sign Language by successful completion of American Sign Language IV (COMD 4920 ) and Socio-Cultural Aspects of Deafness (COMD 4780 ), and by passing an exit interview.
  3. Demonstration of proficiency in two foreign languages by successful completion of the 1020 course level in one language and the 2010 course level in the second language (or its equivalent).
  4. Completion of an upper-division (3000-level or higher) foreign language grammar or literature course requiring the 2020 course level (or its equivalent) as a prerequisite. Conversation courses cannot be considered for satisfying this requirement.

For non-native English-speaking students only, the following options are available:

  1. Successful completion of the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) program for international students.
  2. TOEFL, Michigan, or IELI placement scores high enough to meet the University admission criteria.

Bachelor's Degree Requirements

Academic Program Requirement

All graduates are required to complete an approved academic program in one of the seven resident colleges.

American Institutions

All graduates are required to have an understanding of the fundamentals of the history, principles, form of government, and economic system of the United States. Students may meet this requirement in any one of the following ways: (a) receiving a passing grade on a special examination; (b) receiving a grade of three or better on the Advanced Placement Examination in American History; (c) satisfactory completion of: USU 1300  or HONR 1300 ; ECN 1500 ; HIST 1700 , HIST 2700 , or HIST 2710 ; or POLS 1100 ; or (d) satisfactory completion of a transfer course equivalent to one of the courses in (c).   

University Studies

Completion of the University Studies General Education  and depth education  requirements.

Upper-Division Credits

Completion of a minimum of 40 credits numbered 3000 or above.

Total Credits

A minimum of 120 credits of acceptable collegiate work and a minimum of 100 credits with a grade of C- or better. Please note: A minimum of 72 of the 120 credits required for the baccalaureate degree must carry the A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D designation, unless the major department or college changes this limitation. See Pass (P), D+, D, F Option .


In order to graduate, students must meet all GPA requirements for their major. These requirements can be found in the Academic Programs section of this catalog. USU credits only are used in computing the GPA. The University requires a minimum GPA of 2.0 to be considered for good standing and for graduation, although the majority of degree programs require a higher GPA.


Each student must complete all requirements for an approved program of study. This program is comprised of up to 80 credits, which include the major, licensure requirements, and all other required major coursework. The program of study for each major is described in the appropriate departmental section of this catalog.

Students should select a major subject upon entering the University or early the first year, but not later than entrance into the upper division. As soon as the major subject has been selected, the student should contact the department in which he or she has decided to major. A Change of Matriculation form must be filed with the University Registrar. The head of the department will assign an advisor. Registration in succeeding semesters should be carefully checked and approved by the advisor to assure proper selection of courses for satisfying institutional and departmental requirements. If more than one major is being pursued concurrently, departmental and college authorization must be obtained.

Students who have completed at least 60 credits (not including AP, CLEP, and concurrent enrollment) and one USU semester must be accepted into a department or be admitted to Provisional Admission Warning before they are allowed to register for additional work. To enforce this policy, a hold will be placed on the student's registration.

The selection of a major(s), the fulfillment of requirements, and a choice of a career or vocation are the responsibility of the student. The University does not assume responsibility for these choices nor for successful employment upon completion of University programs. However, to aid in these choices, the University provides advising, counseling, and testing services for self-evaluation and information about careers and employment opportunities. Career Services assists students in all aspects of their career search.

Students are encouraged to meet regularly with their advisor to establish a plan of study and confirm a graduation date as early as possible.

Changing a Program

When a change of degree, catalog year, major, minor, and/or emphasis is desired, a student must go to the department office in which he or she is presently enrolled to initiate the proper paperwork. If he or she is changing to a program within the same department, the department office may complete the required form, have it signed, and have it received by the Registar's Office. When a student is changing departments, signatures of both departments are required on the form. After the form is received by the Registrar's Office, the program is changed and the information becomes part of the student's file.


USU does not require that all students complete a minor. However, some departments and/or programs do require completion of a minor, which is described in the catalog statement of the department or program.

Credits in Residency (USU Credits)

Candidates for a bachelor's degree must complete at least 30 credits at USU's Logan campus, USU Eastern, or through classes offered offered by USU Regional Campuses and Distance Education. A minimum of 20 of these credits must be completed in upper-division courses, of which at least 10 credits must be completed in courses required by the student's major.

Candidates for an associate degree must complete at least 20 credits at USU's Logan campus, USU Eastern, or through classes offered by USU Regional Campuses and Distance Education.

Credit by Examination

Some noncollegiate experiences may permit credit through challenge and foreign language examinations. For further information, see the Placement Tests and Credit by Examination  section of this catlog.

Credit for Intensive English Study

Classes in IELI carry academic credit. Full-time students at each level take 18 credits per semester. A student who begins IELI at level 1 and progresses to level 4 may earn a total of 72 undergraduate elective credits. While all the credits will appear on a student's transcript, a maximum of 36 can be counted toward graduation. Application of the 36 credits will be determined by the student's college and major department. Students must, therefore, meet with their departmental advisors to determine the role of IELI credits in their graduation requirements. IELI 2470  and IELI 2475  count toward the General Education Breadth Social Science (BSS) requirement.

Remedial Courses

Remedial courses (numbered below 1000), cannot be used to satisfy degree requirements. These credits do not count toward GPA or Earned Hours.

Honors at Graduation

Honors at commencement are determined after Fall Semester grades are in and do not reflect Spring Semester grades. Final honors designations will not be posted on the official transcript until all grades are received for the degree.

The USU grade point average is used in determining these distinctions. Transfer credits are not considered. Exception: All coursework completed at USU Eastern through Summer 2011 will be posted as transfer work. USU Eastern students who began working on an associate degree or certificate of completion prior to Fall 2011 will use a combination of their College of Eastern Utah transfer GPA and their institution GPA to determine eligibility for honors at commencement.

Latin Scholastic Distinctions (Bachelor's Degrees and Second Bachelor's Degrees)

To qualify for Latin Scholastic Distinctions at graduation, a student must have completed a minimum of 40 semester credits in residency (USU credits) at USU's Logan, USU-Eastern, or through classes offered by USU Regional Campuses and Distance Education. USU designated Latin Scholastic Distinctions at graduation are:

  Summa Cum Laude
Magna Cum Laude
Cum Laude
3.950 to 4.000 GPA
3.800 to 3.949 GPA
3.500 to 3.799 GPA

These distinctions will appear on the diploma and on the official transcript.

Honors Degrees

In addition to Latin Scholastic Distinctions at graduation, USU offers honors degrees designed to fill a variety of student needs. Honors Program members may work toward one of three degree options: (1) Departmental Honors, (2) Departmental Honors with Honors in University Studies, or (3) University Honors. For further information, see the University Honors Program  section of this catalog.

Honors for Associate Degrees and Certificates

Students will be recognized as follows:

  High Honors
3.750 to 4.000 GPA
3.500 to 3.749 GPA


Associate degree and certification distinctions will appear only on the official transcript.

General Information

Regional Campuses and Distance Education

Applicants for degrees who have taken courses for credit through Regional Campuses and Distance Education (including Independent Study courses) are subject to regular University admission requirements and must file transcripts of all university credit with the Admissions Office.

Financial Obligations

Students are reminded that nonpayment of fees owed to the University may result in withholding of diplomas or certificates.

Independent Study

Grades for Independent Study courses must be completed and on file in the Registrar's Office by the last day of classes (excluding finals) of the semester of intended graduation.

Incomplete Grades

Incomplete grades must be made up and on file in the Registrar's Office no later than the last day of classes during the semester for which the candidate has applied for graduation.

Changes in Graduation Requirements

Students are expected to familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations of both the University and their specific major. Detailed information concerning graduation requirements is available in this catalog as part of the departmental descriptions. Responsibility for satisfying all graduation requirements rests upon the student. Utah State University reserves the right to change graduation requirements at any time.

Seven-Year Graduation Requirements Policy

Students who can complete a baccalaureate degree within seven years of enrollment at USU can qualify for graduation by meeting (1) the General Education or University Studies requirements in effect when they initially enrolled and (2) the major requirements in effect when they officially declared their major, even though there may have been changes in General Education, University Studies, and major requirements since that time. Students who have not completed the baccalaureate requirements within seven years of their initial enrollment at USU must have their General Education (or University Studies) and major requirements evaluated and approved by their department head and dean. Exceptions to this seven-year graduation requirements policy may be necessary for mandated changes in degree requirements.

Note: For General Education (or University Studies) requirements, this policy refers only to the General Education categories and credits required. The time limit for acceptability of individual General Education courses is listed below.

Intent to Transfer Graduation Requirements

Students who did not initially enroll at USU, but have completed the Intent to Transfer process, will be obligated by the Seven-Year Policy for both the General Education (or University Studies) and major requirements in effect when their Intent to Transfer Education Plan was signed by representatives at both USU and the sending institution. Signatures from both institutions must be obtained during the same semester.

Applying for Graduation

Undergraduate candidates for graduation must have completed the application process by having a graduation packet on file and fees paid to the Registrar's Office, Taggart Student Center 246. The application deadlines are February 28 for spring semester graduates, June 30 for summer semester graduates, and September 30 for fall semester graduates. If the deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the deadline will be extended to the following Monday.

The application process is as follows:

  1. Be eligible for graduation
  2. Complete the graduating student survey
  3. Request an application from the Registrar's Office website:
  4. Meet with your academic advisor to plan out your remaining courses and requirements for graduation
  5. Track your progress in Degree Works

In order to ensure that your name will appear in the commencement program, you must apply by the published deadlines. Students who do not complete all the graduation requirements in their desired term will not be able to graduate.

Any questions concerning the graduation steps, students can contact their specific college in which they plan to graduate.

College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences
Caine College of the Arts
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services
College of Engineering
Humanities and Social Sciences
S.J. and Jessie E. Quinney College of Natural Resources
College of Science
Regional Campuses and Distance Education,


Candidates will attend commencement exercises in the spring of the year they graduate. Those candidates completing requirements at the end of summer semester may choose to attend either the preceding spring or the following spring commencement exercises. If attending the preceding spring commencement, the graduation application must be completed by the spring semester deadline to ensure the graduate's name is in the commencement program. Students must notify the Registrar's Office of the address to which the diploma is to be sent. All graduates will receive their diplomas through the mail. Participation in commencement exercises does not ensure that the candidate has satisfied graduation requirements.

Second Bachelor's Degree

Applicants for a second bachelor's degree must file an application with the Admissions Office and obtain the recommendation of their academic dean prior to being admitted. A second bachelor's degree is available only to those on whom a first bachelor's degree has been conferred by a regionally-accredited institution. Students must complete a minimum of 30 USU credits beyond those applied toward the first bachelor's degree, 18 of which must be earned in department-approved upper-division courses related to the major. USU credits may be earned in courses completed at USU's Logan campus or Regional Campuses and Distance Education.

Students may apply for a second bachelor's degree only if the major is different from the major in the first bachelor's degree.

Candidates for a second bachelor's degree who did not satisfy the American Institutions requirement in the first bachelor's degree, must satisfy this requirement before receiving the second bachelor's degree.

Note: The first bachelor's degree must have been awarded by a regionally-accredited college or university. Students who earn a degree from an international college or university may be considered for a second bachelor's degree if the first degree was earned from an institution listed in a database approved by the Office of Global Engagement.

Split Form

Courses numbered 0010 through 4990 will be posted to an undergraduate transcript. Courses numbered 6000 through 7990 will be posted to a graduate transcript. Courses numbered 5000 through 5990 will be posted to either an undergraduate or graduate transcript, based on the primary program level of the student. In cases where an undergraduate has taken one or more graduate-level courses required for program completion, the courses will be moved to the undergraduate transcript unless a split form has been received by the Registrar's Office. Students should contact their undergraduate advisor for help with filing the appropriate form. In cases where a graduate student has taken one or more undergraduate-level courses as part of the approved program of study, the courses wil be moved to the graduate transcript unless a split form has been received by the Registrar's Office. Students should contact their graduate advisor for help with filing the appropriate form.

Letter of Completion

Students who have completed the General Education portion of the University Studies Requirements at Utah State University, and who transfer to another institution, may receive a Letter of Completion from USU. In order to qualify for a Letter of Completion, students must: 1) complete all of the General Education requirements, 2) earn at least 9 of the General Education credits or a minimum of 20 total credits from Utah State University, and 3) earn an institution GPA of 2.0 or higher and an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher.

It is the student's responsibility to initiate a request for this letter. The student's advisor will determine whether or not the student has indeed satisfied all of the requirements. If so, the advisor may go to and select the Letter of Completion Form. The advisor should complete the form, indicating how the student has met the requirements. The advisor should also indicate where the letter should be sent. Letters are typically sent to the Admissions Office at the transfer institution. After the advisor has completed the form, he or she should send the form to the Registrar's Office. The Registrar's Office will then generate an official letter and send the letter to the transfer institution.

On occasion, there may be circumstances in which a student has completed most of the General Education requirements at Utah State University, transferred to another institution where he or she has completed the last of the courses needed to complete the USU General Education requirements, and then requested a Letter of Completion from USU. Since the coursework was not completed at USU, USU may not submit a Letter of Completion, unless the coursework is posted to a USU transcript. To have this coursework posted to a USU transcript, a student should submit his or her transcript to the Registrar's Office, 1600 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT 84322-1600. The Registrar's Office will then evaluate and post the credit. If all requirements have been satisfied, the Letter of Completion will be generated.