The Practical Nursing Certificate of Completion is designed for students who wish to begin their nursing education and obtain licensure as a licensed practical nurse (LPN). A Certificate of Completion includes a minimum of one course in composition, math and human relations, in addition to the major courses.
Requirements for Admission
- Fulfill requirements for admission to USU.
- Submit a completed application to the nursing department (refer to nursing website for application period dates).
- Submit transcript(s) showing completion of prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of B- in each prerequisite course. Prerequisite courses with more than three attempts without achieving a grade of B- or better will not be considered.
- Successful completion (75% or better) on the HESI A2 exam. Applicants are allowed two attempts per application cycle. Two weeks in between attempts is required.
- A grade of B- or better is required in all prerequisite courses. Courses may not be taken on a pass/fail basis.
After acceptance to the USU PN program, students will be given instructions on how to submit results of a clean criminal background check, a negative drug screen, Basic Life Support (BLS) certification and proof of required immunizations per program policy.
A grade of B- or better is required in all NURS major courses. Courses may not be taken on a pass/fail basis. Students must maintain at least a 79.5% exam average in all nursing courses. Students will receive the lesser of the exam average or overall course average as the course grade.