Apr 24, 2019
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department of Political Science
Students must complete the General Education Requirements :
- will fulfill the Social Sciences requirement
Students must also complete the University Studies Depth Requirements :
- (required), plus , or (if selected in the Area Requirements), will fulfill the Communication Intensive (CI) requirement
- will fulfill the Quantitative Intensive (QI) requirement
- Complete at least 2 credits in approved 3000-level or above courses from each of the following two categories: Humanities and Creative Arts (DHA) and Life and Physical Sciences (DSC)
Law and Constitutional Studies Major
Minimum GPA for Admission: 3.0, USU; 3.0, Career
Minimum GPA for Graduation: 3.0, major courses; 3.0, USU; 3.0, Career
Minimum Grade Accepted: C in major courses
This is a rigorous program designed for students interested in leadership roles in business, public communications, government, education, or the study or practice of law.
A. Total Credits in Political Science Courses: 36
Please note that none of the courses can be taken Pass/Fail; all Political Science courses must be taken for a letter grade. Also, all courses must be attended in their entirety. Students cannot take these courses during an internship.
B. Career Total and USU Cumulative GPAs: 3.00
C. Average GPA in Political Science Courses: 3.00
D. Required Courses (21 credits)
E. Course Sequencing
Law and Constitutional Studies majors are required to complete POLS 1100 as a prerequisite to all 3000-and 4000-level Political Science courses. It is advised that Law and Constitutional Studies majors take POLS 3120 prior to POLS 4120 , POLS 4130 , POLS 5130 , or POLS 5140
F. Area Requirements (6 credits minimum)
Students must take a minimum of six upper-division credits in U.S. Government and Policy in addition to courses required for this major.
G. Electives (9 credits)
Any Political Science upper-division courses can be used to complete the major and fulfill this requirement, with two exceptions:
- Not more than three credits in Directed Readings courses (POLS 4910 ) can apply to this requirement.
- Not more than three credits in the following courses can apply to this requirement:
Minimum University Requirements