Mar 19, 2019
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Department of Management
University Studies Requirements for Major
Students must complete the General Education Requirements :
- will fulfill the American Institutions requirement
- will fulfill the Social Sciences requirement for students in the Huntsman School of Business
- For Huntsman School of Business students, courses taken for their major will fulfill the Exploration requirement
Students must also complete the University Studies Depth Requirements :
- Courses taken for their major will fulfill the Communications Intensive (CI) and Quantitative Intensive (QI) requirements for students in the Huntsman School of Business
- Complete at least 2 credits in approved 3000-level or above courses from each of the following two categories: Humanities and Creative Arts (DHA) and Life and Physical Sciences (DSC)
Bachelor of Arts Degree Language Requirement
Bachelor of Arts Degree
A Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree signifies proficiency in one or more foreign languages. Specifically, the BA requirement may be completed in one of the following ways:
- Demonstration of proficiency in one foreign language by successful completion of one course at the 2020-level or higher (or its equivalent).
- Demonstration of proficiency in American Sign Language by successful completion of COMD 4920 and COMD 4780 , and by passing an exit interview.
- Demonstration of proficiency in two foreign languages by successful completion of the 1020 course level in one language and the 2010 course level in the second language (or its equivalent).
- Completion of an upper-division (3000-level or higher) foreign language grammar or literature course requiring the 2020 course level (or its equivalent) as a prerequisite. Conversation courses cannot be considered for satisfying this requirement.
For nonnative English-speaking students only, the following options are available:
- Successful completion of the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) program for international students.
- TOEFL, Michigan, or IELI placement scores high enough to meet the University admission criteria.
Huntsman School of Business Acumen (40 credits)
All majors in the Department of Management must complete the following business acumen, in addition to the specific courses listed for the major. Prior to Huntsman School of Business admission, ECN 1500 , MIS 2200 and STAT 2300 must be completed with a grade of C or better.
All 3000-, 4000-, and 5000-level courses in the Huntsman School of Business are restricted to students admitted to the Huntsman School or another USU major with an overall GPA of at least 2.67 and completion of at least 40 credits.
International Business Major (27 credits)
The international business major develops the skills and knowledge needed to provide leadership in the global marketplace. This requires not only being able to manage customers, products, and processes in global supply chains, but also understanding the social, political, and cultural dimensions of business in an international environment. Before continuing with the required courses, students must receive a grade of B- or better in FIN 3400 , MGT 3500 and MGT 3700 . For the BA degree in International Business, students must complete 15 credits of required courses, 6 credits of supporting coursework, and one 3-credit nonbusiness elective course (as shown below). In addition to coursework requirements, students are required to demonstrate competence in a second language, and complete an international experience. Competence in a second language can be demonstrated by one of the following: (1) successful completion of a minor or major in a second language; (2) passing 16 semester credits of a second language at an accredited college or university; (3) passing a language challenge competency exam and successfully completing the next higher class; (4) successful completion of the BYU Language Test (minimum of 16 credits); or (5) completion of 16 credits from the Intensive English Language Institute or attainment of a TOEFL score of at least 173 computerized, 500 paper/pencil, or 61 on the iBT.
The international experience can be fulfilled by meeting one of the following requirements:
- Demonstration of international work experience or completion of an internship. The work experience/internship is either to be completed overseas or to provide substantial and approved international experience. It is to be of no less than nine weeks in duration.
- Completion of a minimum of one semester of study at an approved overseas institute of higher education or participation in an approved overseas study tour.
Required Courses (18 credits)
Supporting Coursework (6 credits)
Students must complete 6 credits of coursework from one of the following five supporting areas:
See note 1
Electives (select 3 credits)
Students must complete one elective, selected from the following:
1 In the event that a course required for a supporting area is not offered or available, an approved alternative course may be substituted.
Minimum University Requirements